Thursday 6 January 2011

TV Advertising, not as Expensive as you might think

I thought I'd start my first post by dispelling the biggest myth that TV advertising is expensive.


Because of the high profile that TV adverts have and the fame that they create it's no wonder that your first impression maybe that it must be very expensive. Those glittering ads by M&S must cost millions and they always seem to be on in all the best programmes, which must cost tens of millions. Well maybe not tens of millions, but that's because M&S have the money to spend.


But if you asked me, could I plan a TV campaign for less than 10k including production. The answer would be yes, in fact I do several times a day for local advertisers in the Tyne Tees region. In fact sometimes I do it for less than 5k. But now your probably thinking but surely that would buy me only one ad in Jeremy Kyle, not so.


Currently in the Tyne Tees region we offer split transmitters so you can target your advert to just the North or the South of the region. The North covers, Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland etc roughly about 1.5 million Adults of which about 82% or so watch ITV on a weekly basis. Because your targeting a micro region the price is a lot smaller and for a budget of 7k for your ad campaign you would get roughly an estimated 9 peak adverts and 16 off peak which would include programmes such as Coronation St, Emmerdale, Take Me Out, The Chase, Above Suspicion, This Morning, Jeremy Kyle, Loose Women etc. And you could have a live action advert made for about 3k.


Now you’re probably thinking though but I don't want to be a local advertiser I want to be national and that does cost millions. Again you would be wrong any budget can be accommodated, national campaigns on our digital channels can easily be bought again for about 25k for a two week campaign. And a national campaign needn’t cost millions if planned correctly. By buying at the right time of year, being creative with your time length, choosing the right time of day to be on air or the right programmes to advertise around and the right TV regions to be on.


Quite often sponsoring a TV programme is more affordable than buying the equivalent number of spot adverts. And soon we will be adding product placement to the mix which I’m really excited about.


The point I'm really trying to make is not to discount TV advertising as an option as you do so at your own peril because anyone with some good TV buying knowledge could quite easily give several options to match almost any budget. In fact if you don’t believe me give me a brief and I’ll prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment